Go to Traffic Court

After you’ve appealed your ticket and paid the $25 court fee, here’s what you may expect ticket-fighting (NMA):

  1. You’ll receive a summons to go to the Massachusetts district court in whose jurisdiction you received the ticket (usually a couple of months later)
  2. You’ll arrive at 9:00 am, check-in with the clerk’s office, and be one of many driver’s that have appealed their tickets
  3. Once your name is called, you’ll appear before a clerk-magistrate in his office, along with the local police prosecutor, but probably not the officer that issued the ticket
  4. If you present the clerk magistrate with an official letter stating that there is no “Special Speed Regulation” for the speed limit sign in question, then the clerk-magistrate should find you “not responsible”
  5. On the other hand, if the clerk-magistrate still finds you “responsible,” then you may appeal again and pay a $50 court fee to appear before a district court judge
  6. When you next appear in court (another couple of months later), everything is pretty much the same, except that if the officer that issued the ticket doesn’t show up, then you may properly ask the district court judge to simply dismiss the case
  7. Chances are the district court judge understands the legal implications of an illegal speed limit sign better than a clerk-magistrate, and will find you “not responsible,” thereby saving you a great deal of money
  8. But, if the judge still finds you “responsible,” then it usually makes economic sense just to succumb and pay the fine
  9. As a matter-of-principle, you may also appeal your ticket all the way to the United States Supreme Court.  May God bless you!